Old April 27th 18, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Do EVO pads fit in KoolStop holders?

On 2018-04-26 15:40, Roger Merriman wrote:

[...]

I can remember wearing pads out on Canti MTB in single
ride if
it was very wet/gritty area.

That is one of the reasons why I'd never buy any new
bike with
rim brakes. Some roads in our area are either unpaved,
gravel or
connect to a gravel road section and thus have a lot of
dust on
them. However, my road bike was built in 1982 and there
were no
disc brakes available, at least not in Europe.

Shimano's was around 1976 IIRC:
https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/248919

Phil Wood 1974. http://www.philwood.com/about/txthist.php
RIP Phil.

There is no need for disc brakes for dry weather road
riding, even on
"dusty" roads and occasional single track or urban trail.
It's a
solution in search of a problem. My rim brakes work fine
in wet
weather, ...

Work fine?

... but I prefer discs because of rim wear and better wet
braking.

Yet now they are worse than disc brakes? To me brakes are
among the most impoprtant parts on a vehicle. I want top
performance from them, not a "somewhat ok" performance.

Thing is, one doesn't always know if the weather turns foul
during a long ride and then I don't want to have to
pussyfoot it back home because of sub-par brakes.

... I switch between disc and direct mount caliper
brakes on
the weekends and find that braking is great on both.

Thanks for the hint about the Koolstop pads. They just came.
Ebay tracking is a nice "mail is here" alert. It came early
today.

They fit like a glove. I wonder why they now flare the
trailing edge inwards towards the rim. It would make the pad
want to skew. Maybe I'll grind that off.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

http://www.koolstop.com/english/dura_type.html

Note red arrow, bottom of product card

--