Old June 27th 18, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Making America into Amsterdam

On 2018-06-26 13:19, sms wrote:
On 6/26/2018 11:04 AM, jbeattie wrote:

Or the 1960s, as in NL. 25% mode share at five miles is great -- even
at 9-12 miles, the percentage of trips by bike is way better than any
US city. Portland's city-wide bicycle mode share is 7% -- for all trips.

City density does not explain the relative lack of cyclists in NYC,
Boston, Chicago, etc. -- and other places that are flat and that have
compact metropolitan areas. There are many other differences.

Of course the statistic that was quoted is not true, but no surprise there!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/620201/average-biking-distance-per-person-per-day-netherlands-by-age/

There are four things that need to be necessary to increase bike share
in the U.S., and they all need to be present at the same time. You can't
do one and proclaim that it's hopeless.

1. Separated bicycle infrastructure that goes between housing centers
and job centers.

2. Security so there is no danger of theft or vandalism.

3. Financial or other encouragement

4. Shower facilities.

5. Brewpub along the bike trail for the way home.

I recently did a bicycle/train combination trip to San Francisco for a
meeting. The meeting was at the Metropolitan Transportation Commission,
which you would think would be very pro-bicycle. In fact they just talk
the talk. Two of us were ready to leave and not attend the meeting
because of a lack of secure parking, which is vitally important in San
Francisco. When I told one of the check-in people that I was turning in
my badge and leaving she suddenly decided that we were worthy of the
lovely, two-level, indoor bicycle parking room.

That is also a major problem at large shopping areas. It is the reason
why I shop less at Walmart, they don't let me take in the bike. I shop a
lot more at Lowe's and Trader Joe's because they are smart enough to let
me take the bike in. Of course, I make sure not to show up with my MTB
dripping mud.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/