Old June 17th 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Chalo

Default Is there such a thing as an ideal trike?

Mike wrote:

Edward Dolan wrote:

Bernhard Agthe wrote:

The only obvious drawbacks to a delta a

- large turning radius (long wheelbase)

Not on the Kett Wiesel. You can do a U-turn on a bike path.

Presumably to avoid the embarrassment of anyone seeing you on what
looks like a glorified long wheelbase wheelchair.

IMHO The only trike worth considering is a tadpole.

Can't do this with a tadpole:

http://austinbikezoo.org/sites/defau...ul.preview.JPG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI5tK0CDl_0

I've had over 1600 lbs. riding on just the trike's rear axle.

I can also U-turn that rig in any space as wide as the trailer is
long. It turns so tightly the trailer moves backwards during part of
the process. Lots of delta trikes can pivot around a stationary
wheel; tadpole trikes can't.

It is nice that tadpole trikes can use regular bicycle drivetrains,
but that's also one of their limitations.

Chalo