Old March 26th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Cup & Cone Bottom Brackets - Any Sources?

On Mar 26, 1:48*pm, Hands Of Stone wrote:
On Mar 25, 6:09*am, landotter wrote:

On Mar 25, 6:29*am, Hands Of Stone wrote:

I am looking for a source for high-quality conventional cup & cone BBs
(JIS square taper). *Ritchey used to still make some but they are no
longer shown on his site. *Any ideas?

Any particular reason a cartridge BB won't work for you? FWIW--I
believe the new version house brand square taper BB at Nashbar is
being made by RPM in Taiwan and has an aluminum lock ring. Well made
and a steal at $15.

No, I have nothing against cartridge. *I just like everything about
the old-school BBs (except for the fixed cup): I run'em cageless with
a few extra balls, regrease and replace bearings (cheaply) when
needed, plus I like being able to adjust the bearings. *Why fix what
ain't broke? *Having said that, I may go with your idea as I am always
a sucker for a good deal.

It's a stupidly nice BB for the money. As much as I like loose ball
hubs and headsets, which are easy to maintain--I do love cartridge
BBs. I've never managed to wear one out--though the most miles I ever
put on one was 30K on a UN73. It's a superior technology, for sure.
Careful with the alloy cups, btw--you'll want to use loctite, these
guys like to work loose if assembled with grease.