Old June 2nd 21, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Good quality bikes

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 15:58:08 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

On 6/1/21 3:46 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 12:32:08 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

[...]

My dream would be a shaft-driven bike. A German tractor manufacturer
used to build them but they don't look sturdy enough to me:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94791513@N04/14033652688

Anyhow, can't get those in the US.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

A clean chain and cogset through a derailleur is about 98% or better efficient. That shaft drive bike was something like 92%. Of course, it was 92% almost until the gears were worn out. But the difference was substantial. That is why we don't see shaft drives. Imagine a shaft drive and a Rolhoff 12 speed.

92% would be perfectly fine with me. Just the absence of chain
maintenance would be worth it.

But you can buy a shaft drive bicycle. See:
http://www.webbicycle.com/bikes/cruz3.php
http://doingdesmoines.com/2015/08/03...s-bike-photos/
--
Cheers,