Old February 9th 18, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

On 2018-02-06 18:56, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/6/2018 1:52 PM, sms wrote:
My wife's Lezyne Deca 1500XXL stopped taking a charge, at all. Taking
it apart, I saw that the batteries were made in July 2015. Not too
good for it to stop working that soon.

Some of my bikes have dynamos that are 30 years old. They just keep
going and going and going...

Until you get to a red traffic light, to a stop sign or into a traffic
jam. The perfect spot at night to get hit by a car driver who didn't see
you because you were on the only unlit vehicle around.

AFAIK: dynamo lighting is illegal in the UK for exactly that reason.

Baloney.

From https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-l...ng-regulations

"Dynamo powered lights are legal even though traditionally they have gone out when you stop (modern dynamo systems have 'standlight' technology which means that the light stays on for a while after you have stopped - another German legal requirement). In the UK it is legal to have a light turn off when you stop - which is OK so long as you stop on the left. Usually, it's much safer to stay where you are (e.g. in a stationary queue with left-turning traffic filtering up your inside), since most cars do stop for red traffic lights and those that don’t are unlikely to pay more heed to a bike lamp!

It is also worth noting that modern dynamo systems are very different to those from twenty years ago. They now use LED's as well and have far higher outputs and more advanced beam management. The hub-style dynamos (as opposed to the bottle sort which runs on the side of the tyre) have also increased their efficiency and reduced their drag considerably."

From https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/...to-know-48568/

"Can I use dynamos instead?

Dynamo-powered lights are legal even though they stop emitting light when you stop. It’s fine from a legal standpoint so long as you stop on the left.

Many modern dynamos actually come with something called a standlight, which provides a limited amount of extra stored power even when the dynamo isn’t running."

- Frank Krygowski