Old December 19th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

Default Minnesota Winters

In article ,
"Clive George" wrote:

"jim beam" wrote in message

actually pretty easy to do this - simply loosen the lug nuts a
couple of turns, then go drive around the block. a couple of
hard braking episodes will break free the stubbornest of
rusted wheels.

God Danged Jim. Thats the only intelligent thing you've ever
posted on this forum.

I did that, and it worked with the front wheel but not the rear
wheel. I had to take additional measures for the rear wheel,
including putting some Liquid Wrench between the rim and hub and
engaging in the telephone book rhumba -- you loosen the lug nuts
and then drive the stuck wheel over a phone book, back and forth.
Then you kick the wheel in strategic locations. That finally
worked. Or maybe it was the swearing that did it.

My 4lb club hammer was bought specifically to remove a wheel from
my car. I'd tried the 1lb one, no joy, no matter how hard I went
at it. 4lb one, smack, wheel off.

smack. brinelled bearings. specifically unjoyous deployment of a
4lb hammer when the car's own function can serve the purpose, and
not damage anything.

And what sort of loads + impacts do the bearings get in normal use?
What impacts do they get when you're driving around with loose nuts?
You're raising bogus worries.

Not our jim!