Old June 1st 20, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Interesting corrosion failure

On 6/1/2020 12:52 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 08:06:56 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

The spokes failed about 1/3 from the rim not at the cross (a
known issue but not applicable here).

Thanks. So much for my self corrosion theory.

Yes, the aluminum rim
and the brass nipples appear to have been galvanically engaged.

With severe corrosion only the front part of the bicycle, your
observation that the electrolyte (salt) was delivered in the garage by
the nearby parked car is probably correct. I wonder if the metal
parts on the car were also corroded?

Is the local road salt NaCl (sodium chrolide), or one of the
alternatives listed?
"CURRENT DEICING PRACTICES AND ALTERNATIVE DEICING MATERIALS"
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/ch2-deice_51438_7.pdf
We don't have road salt problems on the left coast, so this is all new
to me.

Was there a bank of batteries charged by solar panels or wind nearby?
We have such an arrangment in our ham radio repeater building. Despite
adequate ventillation, we still manage to get some metal corrosion in
the building:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/k6bj-batteries-02.jpg
Putting a bicycle in the battery room would be a really bad idea.

The shiny spots seem to be from riding with spokes flappng
around and striking each other and the fork.

So much for my aluminum contact corrosion theory. I should have known
better since other parts of the bicycle were corroded without contact
with aluminum.

Yes, stainless steel will corrode:
"Metallurgy for Dummies - Corrosion Stainless Steel"
https://metallurgyfordummies.com/corrosion-stainless-steel.html
More examples:
https://www.google.com/search?q=stainless+steel+corrosion&tbm=isch

"I wonder if the metal parts on the car were also corroded?"

Is that a joke? We're in Wisconsin.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wisconsin+...es&ia=ima ges

Mostly NaCl but various counties, townships, cities and
towns experiment with everything and anything (soy sauce
tailings from Kikkoman, cheesemaking and pickle brines and
beet juice among the more exotic)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/