Old February 10th 17, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Bike building

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 07:45:46 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
Hi Peers,

I am Maria. I love to cycle and have few bikes. Been thinking about
building a bike myself or for my kid.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Share with me your experience?

Thanks.

I built a frame from scratch once, with a friend who is a framebuilder.
I drew the plans, chose the tubes, cut and mitered them, learned to
braze, filed the lugs, painted, etc. My friend insisted on brazing the
steerer into the fork crown and the fork blades into the fork crown, bit
I did all the rest of the joints. It made me appreciate the work that
goes into a frame. I ride that bike still, 10 years later, as my
commuter. And even though no one else knows, I feel a sense of pride as
I pedal along.

It's worth doing, but I would recommend doing it with guidance by
someone who knows what they are doing.