Old December 3rd 17, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default FOLDING BIKE

On 12/3/2017 10:49 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/2/2017 11:10 PM, LF wrote:
On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 10:30:49 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
NYT'S TRAVEL section gift list

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/gifts...t-folding-bike

Only time will tell.Â*Â* Dahon design flaws can show up after a while.
ForÂ* example, I was surprised to find the spoke nipples on my
relatively high end Dahon Speed 7 were aluminum -- discovering this
only after stress fractures dislodged the spokes.Â* Why would the
designers choose failure prone aluminum over the standard brass
nipples? I was luckier than my friend, who's aluminum Dahon frame also
developed stress fractures.Â* Over time, many of the nuts and bolts
rusted on various parts of my bike rusted. The Speed 7 looked good
when I bought it. Over time, the design flaws blossomed. I have bikes
that are older, and held together much better.

The Ancients actually knew something:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/172045...-1/s-l1000.jpg

I'm curious about the age of that advertisement.

As I understand, during the first huge bike boom of the 1890s, steel had
the same high tech cachet as titanium or carbon fiber has today. It was
still relatively rare and pretty expensive, even if far cheaper than it
had been in (say) the 1850s.

So I wonder if the ad was from a time when they were bragging that it
was new, or from a time (kind of like today) when they were bragging
that they don't need none of that new-fangled aluminum?

--
- Frank Krygowski