Old May 24th 04, 01:05 AM
Patrick Herring

Default The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

"John Mallard" not_me@all wrote:

| MSeries wrote:
| Nathaniel Porter wrote:
| I find it worrying that the article suggests segregation is the
| solution. Dedicated cycleways have their place, but we must never
| lose sight of the fact that all vehicles (regardless of their means
| of propultion) have equal rights to use the road.
|
| Thing is in Denmark when a cycle lane is provided, they MUST be used
| and you don't have the right to ride on the road.

Also in Holland IIRC.

| This has always been my greatest fear. That one day the buggers will
| realise that they only need to spend a bit more money on cycle farcilities
| and then vote us off the road altogether.

But why - if the road has no attached cycle way you could go on the
road, if it does it'll be better than the road (for security anyway).
I suppose you might say that drivers will get used to not having to
think about cyclists so will be worse when they have to share, but
separate lanes will get many more cycling and we just might end up
like Holland and Denmark.

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK
http://www.anweald.co.uk