Old March 22nd 16, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Assault by motoring psychopath on cyclist filmed

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 8:00:12 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/21/2016 12:41 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Andy K:

Maybe rider should start packing pepper spray.

I quit riding my road bike to work in Philadelphia when I realized that
a friend's practice of carrying a loaded .44 magnum in the tank pouch of
his motorcycle was starting to sound sensible to me.

Many decades ago, my son and I rode our bikes from New Jersey to Ohio,
passing right through Philadelphia.

I new nothing about the city, so we just headed due west through the
heart of it. In some neighborhood, we did get hostile shouts "Hey
Whitey, what are you doing here?" But we just kept riding.

It did surprise me. I rode daily through a ghetto neighborhood to my
previous job and never encountered any hostility. In fact, people were
very friendly. Likewise, in my current metro area, I've ridden almost
everywhere in the city with no problems.

Some places are more hostile than others, I guess.

Some MUPs are pretty dangerous. I had some meth-head punch me on a MUP. A woman with a flat tire was just raped on the Springwater Corridor. http://bikeportland.org/2016/03/21/g...er-path-178667 Note the stories of shootings and other mayhem on the Springwater.

I've never had a problem out there, but there are parts that are sketchy homeless camps.

If you spend enough time on a bike in a large metropolitan area, someone will assault you. A sad fact of urban life. It has happened to me more than once in Portland and San Jose.

-- Jay Beattie.