Old December 16th 17, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default learn by destroying

On 12/16/2017 2:14 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 10:16:38 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/16/2017 9:14 AM, AMuzi wrote:
I cast my lead hammer in a steel can with a piece of water pipe handle
stuck into the side of it.

:-) I've got exactly the same model hanging on my workshop pegboard
wall. Our son cast it in metal shop during middle school.

(I bet they're not allowed to do that now.)

OSHA allows lead casting, but requires considerable safety equipment
and proper procedures. Dealing with the fumes and the waste (dross)
are the main problems:
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/leadsmelter/refiningcasting/casting.html

I don't doubt OSHA allows lead casting when properly done. I doubt the
local school allows it, though.

I happen to work on a local committee with a woman who's ex-president
of, and still a member of, the school board. She was behind a policy to
forbid volunteers using loppers to clear tree branches that were
blocking trails in our forest preserve. She's worried about liability.

My guess is that she won't allow lead in any form inside any school
building.

--
- Frank Krygowski