Old December 16th 17, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default learn by destroying

On 12/16/2017 1:14 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 10:16:38 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/16/2017 9:14 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/16/2017 5:12 AM, John B. wrote:

Re "Dead Blow Hammers". For work in the shop we used to cast hammer
heads out of commercially pure lead. As we had the mold we used to
recast the hammers when the heads got badly banged up. Surprising how
little actual lead was lost in use.

"as we had the mold".
I cast my lead hammer in a steel can with a piece of water pipe handle
stuck into the side of it.

Primitive but functional. Maybe you should consider purchasing a
proper mold?
http://www.cookhammer.com/make.html
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a4571/4329523/
http://www.grahamtool.com/leadhammermoldsets.aspx

:-) I've got exactly the same model hanging on my workshop pegboard
wall. Our son cast it in metal shop during middle school.

(I bet they're not allowed to do that now.)

OSHA allows lead casting, but requires considerable safety equipment
and proper procedures. Dealing with the fumes and the waste (dross)
are the main problems:
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/leadsmelter/refiningcasting/casting.html

"Any tool within reach can be used as a hammer"
(I think I said that long ago while working under my car).

I was working in rented space which had been a print shop at
one time and there were piles of linotype in all the
corners. My quickly cast tool got the spinners on and off
my MG for many years:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/media/...amwspic1_2.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi