Old January 16th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

Default Another possible guni hub

dangerdog;1171128 wrote:
I am keen on the potential of the duvinci hub for unicycle use,however
it would require a bit of re-engineering in order to be suitable.The
standard hub is listed as having a gear range of 0.5 to 1 ratio through
to 1.75 to 1 ratio,this range of gearing would be very suitable for a
unicycle.An example with a 26" wheel would be an effective range of 13"
through to 45.5" I think that would cover almost all gearing
requirements.

There's virtually no reason to gear a unicycle hub down below 1:1, and
given the number of people now riding 54" effective wheels, 45.5" is
pretty wimpy.

I think the ideal range for a unicycle gearing system would be from 1:1
to about 3:1. If we ever get 3:1 gearing, I expect high-end unicycling
to move towards 700c wheels and 170mm cranks.

--
tholub