Old February 4th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Airless Tires? And How Heavy Is "Heavy"?

catzz66 writes:

Tim McNamara wrote:
Rotating your tires correctly prevents this problem. Take the worn
out rear tire off, swap the front tire onto the rear wheel and put
the new tire on the front.

Tim, I don't understand the logic of this. If you are wearing out
your rear tire twice as fast, why put a half used tire on the rear?
Would you not have to replace it twice as quickly as if you put the
new tire on the rear? Not trying to be a wise guy, just trying to
understand what you are saying.

Ah, that's pretty simple. As was pointed out in the post to whch I was
responding, the front tire basically never wears out but eventually
fails from aging- spossibly with a sidewall blowout or something else
catstrophic. By swapping the front tire onto the back and putting the
new rubber up front, you eliminate this problem.