Old December 7th 10, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

Default Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

On 12/7/2010 12:43 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Dec 6, 11:22 pm, wrote:
On Dec 6, 7:29 pm, Frank wrote:

On Dec 6, 2:45 pm, wrote:

On Dec 6, 12:35 pm, Frank wrote:

So DR, when you're bicycling in a 10 foot lane with a truck that's
8' 6" wide coming up behind you, what exactly do you do?

Frank, you're ignoring me. Remember?

No, obviously, I'm asking you a question..

When you're bicycling in a 10 foot lane with a truck that's 8' 6" wide
coming up behind you, what exactly do you do?

Are you really so afraid to answer?

No, Frank not afraid, just bored and exercising a bit of restraint.
With regard to the situation you describe one might wonder why it is
necessary to do anything unless it is a dangerous or extremely
dangerous situation. So is it?

It's not dangerous for me, because I do control the situation by
controlling the lane.

I think it's dangerous for a cyclist to ride the road's edge so as to
not displease the trucker. It's unacceptably dangerous to imply to
the trucker (or any motorist) that he's welcome to pass you with only
tiny clearance.

There is no room for the truck to pass within the lane in any case.
Why are you making a big deal of it? Don't you feel adequately safe?

I feel extremely safe handling it the way I do. I'm making a big deal
of it because Duane mocked the fact that I control the trucker's
behavior.

I didn't mock you. I questioned your assertion that you
on a bicycle are controlling the trucker's behavior. This is
only true if the trucker sees you and allows it. I've had cases
where the truck didn't see me and cases where they didn't allow
it.

Your claim that you can control a truck that weighs several tons more
than you traveling at higher speeds than you, in every case is what
is dangerous here. Not cycling.

So DR, what _do_ you do in that situation? 10 foot lane, 8.5 foot
truck. Do you suddenly bail to ride the sidewalk, or do you bump
along in the gutter, or do you control the lane?

- Frank Krygowski