Old December 9th 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

On Dec 9, 1:10*am, RobertH wrote:
On Dec 8, 10:14 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I have NEVER said I always "aim for," or ride in, the middle of a
lane. *I have many times said I share a lane whenever it's safe to do
so. *However, it's not safe to do so in a ten foot lane, unless
perhaps the passing vehicle is a motorcycle or other bicycle.

Right. But when in you are "controlling the lane," as I specified, you
always aim for the general center of the lane?

No.

Is the 'lane-controlling' center lane
position more about theater?

It's not theater, it's practicality. If I can safely let someone
pass, I do so.

Probably on such a street I would be riding close to the middle of the
road, not the middle of the lane. But it massively depends, on so many
things. I also don't mind moving over to help someone pass if
possible. If a street required constant "lane controlling" in front of
anxious traffic I would also try to find a better one.

And I generally prefer to do the same. In fact, I've recently (with
some other cyclists) spent hundreds of hours on a city bike map to
show other cyclists where many of those lesser-known, "better" streets
are.

But there are times there are no "better" streets. There are times
your destination requires riding a street with lanes too narrow to
allow safe passing. We need to preserve our right to ride those
streets safely.

- Frank Krygowski