Old December 15th 10, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RobertH

Default Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

On Dec 15, 7:43 am, Phil W Lee wrote:
[...]
Then the most important thing you can do to improve your safety is to
ride in a position which gives them the greatest chance of seeing you.
[...]

Are you familiar with the term "putting all your eggs in one basket?"

-- The entire idea of "controlling a lane" is absurd.

I've just demonstrated above how it works.

It is absurd to consider oneself "controlling the lane" in front of
approaching drivers who, for all you know, might just be 90 years old
and almost completely blind, 16 years old and sexting, fiddling with
the CD player or otherwise not looking at the road at all, etc.

I'm NOT saying "skulk" next to the curb or on the sidewalk. I'm saying
don't fool yourself. The control lies ultimately with the approaching
driver, no matter how we ride in the lane, whether we like it or not.

-- Five feet is a pathetic and inadequate buffer to right side
hazards, if there are any. In the absence of same-direction traffic,
you should be riding much further left.

Why would the presence of same-direction traffic magically change a
"pathetic and inadequate buffer" into something more reasonable?

For the same reason that your "secondary position" becomes reasonable
to you in the presence of same-direction traffic.

-- The concept of Primary Position and Secondary Position is
nonsensical and should be ridiculed, then abandoned.

I'll continue to ride safely, and the terms are useful in describing
the best way of achieving that.

I'm sure you will cling to your belief system no matter what contrary
facts are presented.

-- Bicyclists should help drivers pass by moving toward the right,
even on narrow streets.

No, that should be EXCEPT on narrow streets.

No, even on narrow streets. A street with two ultra narrow lanes
functions for all practical purposes as a single wide lane when no
oncoming traffic is present. Even a modest rightward movement by the
cyclist will make the driver's pass much easier. It is not "all the
same" (Frank) to the driver where the bicyclist is positioned.

-- Bicyclists who fixate on close passes and "preventing dangerous
passes" etc. have misplaced fears. Traffic management philosophies
based on such misguided fears should be ridiculed and abandoned at
first opportunity.

You really are trying to make things more dangerous, aren't you?
The best way to improve road safety in urban areas is to set speed
limits at levels that are attainable for all classes of vehicle,
including cyclists.
Then you reduce the need for passing and most of the conflict.

That would be great. Realistically, it's not going to happen.

Glad we could clear all that up.

Indeed, so why do you keep muddying it?

Reality is a bit messier than you and Frank seem to realize. Don't
blame the messenger.