Old December 16th 10, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

On Dec 15, 5:57*pm, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Dec 15, 6:11*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Dec 15, 8:01*pm, James wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Dec 15, 4:07 pm, Duane H bert wrote:
On 12/15/2010 3:43 PM, James wrote:

I tried a bit of lane taking last night. About 8pm, still light thanks
to daylight savings, and we were two abreast on a road with two lanes
each way. Traffic was light. We had stopped at a traffic light, then
rode off, still two abreast. I was furthest from the gutter, about
middle of the lane.
Yup, there you have it. Some utter prick decides to buzz the tower. They
don't make rulers short enough to measure such small distances as he
left between his car mirror and my handlebars.
To top it off, the ass hole beeped his horn as he skimmed passed.
So much for take the lane, it makes them leave bigger gaps!
Or will Frank say, lucky I wasn't skulking in the gutter, he probably
would have hit me - nah, impossible. Fear from the rear doesn't exist,
right Frank?

Oh, I know the fear exists! *James and Duane have stated their fears
quite frequently!

Aren't you happy that you had that extra distance to the right to
maneuver in the split second that this happened?

Vehicles don't pass in "a split second," Duane. *Once again, don't
exaggerate.

WTF? *With a passing speed of 30km/h, over 8m/s IINM, which means the
majority of the car has passed in less than half a second. *If that is
not split second enough, what is?

Are you claiming you had no way of knowing he was passing until the
front of the car was immediately next to you?

James, if you're so afraid of being run down from behind, get a rear
view mirror. *You'll be able to see cars when they're 300 meters
behind you. *That will give you plenty of time- far more than half a
second - *to dive into the gutter, should you choose.

We are glad to see that *that you would never ridicule another poster.

But Frank, I think you're setting James up. After all, you have
already told us how dangerous it is to watch behind you. Mirrors only
encourage that.

So when you play hall monitor, how do you know when to do your little
side-to-side dance?

I'm on a YouTube binge. I love this video because it is narrated by
this officious individual who gets out of the bike lane in
anticipation of all this danger and to be seen -- and kind of wanders
in and out of traffic, totally violating my rule of riding
predictably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iLdwmt6cRA

He gets practically hysterical when some pedestrian on the bridge
makes a move in his direction. He needs a flittle time on the
Alpenrose track to get over fear of close quarters.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/damianriehl/3739322289/