Old February 4th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default 2.5 years old, bicycle?

On Feb 4, 2:43*pm, " wrote:
My best friends older son is just a hair over 2 years old. *In the
next few months I expect him to get to the point where he could enjoy
having a bicycle. *The question: *what kind? *Generally speaking I
avoid *mart bikes like the plague, but my LBS doesn't have much geared
to the 2 year old. *Any ideas, suggestions, or tips on what to look
for when purchasing a first bike for this young lad?

TIA

Dan

http://www.earlyrider.com/

I have no direct experience with them, but I might try with my number
3 in a while.

My other son learned on a 12" wheeled BMX style bike when he as 3.
Avoid training wheels at all costs. Some dept-store 12" wheeled bike
have a super high bottom bracket, which should be avoided. Some kids
bikes come with much too tall gearing, and a rear sproket change is
called for. Hand brakes are to be avoided. Adjsuting the bearings on a
new kids' bike is a good idea, as they often are WAY too tight.

Good luck!

Joseph