Old February 4th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default 2.5 years old, bicycle?

On Feb 4, 12:43*pm, Just A User wrote:
wrote:
My best friends older son is just a hair over 2 years old. *In the
next few months I expect him to get to the point where he could enjoy
having a bicycle. *The question: *what kind? *Generally speaking I
avoid *mart bikes like the plague, but my LBS doesn't have much geared
to the 2 year old. *Any ideas, suggestions, or tips on what to look
for when purchasing a first bike for this young lad?

TIA

Dan

Dan, I would agree that a mart bike is bad, but on the other hand, if
the son is two years old, he is growing like a weed, so why spend too
much money on something that the kid is going to literally out grow very
quickly. Buy a mart bike and just make sure that you give it a good
looking over to make sure there are no obvious safety issues with it.

I have given that aspect some thought as well. At 2 he very well may
not ever notice the difference between a real bike and a BST. I know
just about nothing when it comes to raising kids, so I'm trying to get
a feel from those that have been there and done that. Thanks for your
input.