Old January 24th 20, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Now that's depressing

On 1/23/2020 7:26 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

This quote from
https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/ex/s...clists/122461/

strikes me as a bit optimistic.

Research has shown that bicyclists on the outside of traffic are
often struck by entering motorists who fail to see them -- which
is why separate bike lanes are not painted in roundabouts.

I agree with that. I think it's critical to ride in the center of the
lane. A few times I've also given "STOP!" signals, palm outward, to
motorists approaching too quickly. But so far I've never had a real
problem with a roundabout.

I would advise timid cyclists to use the sidewalks and pedestrian
crossings, probably walking their bikes.

Pedestrians With Disabilities

Even the best roundabouts, however, pose a special problem for

pedestrians who are blind or have a disability. Unlike at a traffic
light, vehicles in roundabouts never come to a complete stop, and
pedestrians must instead rely on timing gaps between traffic. This is
tricky for those with visual impairments or those who are unable to
cross a lane of traffic quickly.

I agree with this too, and I think it's a serious issue for such people.

--
- Frank Krygowski