Old February 26th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Art Harris

Default Fixies?

"Papa Tom" wrote:
I just got the new Nashbar catalogue, which appears to be pushing fixed gear
bikes as the hot new technology.

First of all, is a "fixed gear" bike the same as a "single-speed" bike?

Next, is anybody out there riding one of these? *If so, what's your feeling
about using one for a moderately hilly area with only moderately strong,
46-year old legs? *I've got some old single-speed cruisers around that serve
me fairly well for riding around the block. *I wouldn't take one much beyond
that, though.

Are the new fixed gear bikes anything more than glorified beach cruisers?

They ain't beach cruisers.

See:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixeda.html

Art Harris