Old September 16th 12, 06:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Sharing the road with cyclists

On Sep 15, 10:52 pm, Dan O wrote:
On Sep 15, 8:55 pm, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Phil W Lee wrote:
(Garrison Hilliard) considered Sat, 15 Sep 2012
15:26:45 +0000 (UTC) the perfect time to write:

(or cite

A poor trail system and roads with little room for bicycles are common

The road has plenty of room for bicycles - it's the motor vehicles
that cause the problem.

Exactly. A bicycle requires only about five feet.

Agreed (except that I can ride in even much narrower spaces).

Motorists simply need
to be taught to be patient, and wait until it's safe to pass.

Well, sure; but until that happens... (?)

“They shouldn’t be in the road,” said Dennis Griffith, 31, of Newport. “If
a motorist didn’t see them, they don’t stand a chance up against a car.”

This attitude of course is utter BS - and the root of the problem.

I have to say I just about felt like I didn't belong in that concrete
enclosed narrow lanes no lane changes allowed highway construction
zone. It felt pretty hairy. Everybody was very accommodating though
(lucked out). Like I said - didn't know what I was getting into.

But I don't need bike lanes, either. I will use them (sometimes); or
maybe not. The beauty of riding bike to me is that I can (and do) go
almost anywhere.

snip