Old October 1st 18, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Continental Ultra Sport tires

On Monday, October 1, 2018 at 10:23:19 AM UTC-7, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2018 11:45:34 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:
On 10/1/2018 10:22 AM, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:54:54 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:
On 9/30/2018 7:59 PM, Theodore Heise wrote:

...I noticed that a line on the tire was spaced about 2 mm
from the rim most of the way around, but right at the rim in a
place (or two?).

My conclusion is that the tire is enough too small that the
bead is pulled inward and doesn't completely seat in those
areas. I tried bouncing the wheel, and even smacking the
sidewall against the top of my workbench, but could not
convince it to pop out into place.

So the rim strip was a minor factor, but I think the basic
problem is mismatch between tire and rim
diameter/circumference.

Could be.

Did you use any lubricant for tire mounting? Just as car/truck
tires are seated using soapy water (or branded similar 'tire
seat' fluids) a schpritz of spray wax can often help here. Spin
rim in midair, spray it, mount tire.

Also you can pull up a tire from a low spot to a satisfying
'pop' as it seats. Bouncing a wheel won't move anything.

I had a follow-up question on this suggestion to "pull up" the
tire. How is this done?

I attempted something like this (I think) by whacking the inflated
tire sideways onto my workbench (as mentioned above). More
specifically, I did this by holding the wheel at the 7 and 5
o'clock positions with each hand just above the workbench top, and
swinging the 12:00 position of the wheel downward so the tire
sidewall made contact with the benchtop.

Maybe I need a different approach, or to do this with the tire
only partially inflated?

Grab the tire firmly where it's low. Squeeze/push/roll the
tire up and away from the rim.

Does it matter whether it's fully inflated or not?

There are tools for that:
https://www.ison-distribution.com/im...l/2br-tst1.jpg

but strong hands alone will seat most.

Thanks (and to sir) for the advice.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

What all this sounds to me like is that you have "two-way" or "tubeless" rims and Continental tires will not work properly with those wheels. They are clincher tires. Continental is presently working on tubeless tires and they are expected to be released next spring.