Old March 19th 13, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

Default Ed Dolan the Great - telling it like it is!

On Friday, March 15, 2013 4:26:05 PM UTC-5, Edward Dolan wrote:
wrote in message

On Monday, March 11, 2013 2:17:17 PM UTC-5, Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

Maybe cycling is good for us after all if it makes us tough when we need

to be.

Because of pain in my lower back and pelvis, I didn't ride at all last

year. I think the problem is scar tissue from radiation. I will give it

a go again this year now that I am feeling a somewhat better, but with

testosterone at castrate levels, my performance will never again be the

same and recovery between efforts slower. Consequently, I have no

intention of logging mega-miles and competing with those half my age.

Sadly, those days are behind me now. As much as I enjoyed mixing it up

with the younger set, riding hard, far, and fast, in a way it is a relief

not to be burdened by the compulsion to do so anymore.

It would never occur to me to try to keep up with those younger than myself.

Unlike you, I gave up on riding hard and fast decades ago. If riding an

upright causes much back pain, I would recommend a recumbent bicycle. You

will be slower over all, but you will be more comfortable although you may

have to tweak the seat a bit. The best thing about cycling is what it does

for the mind, not the body.

The back an pelvic paid are due I believe to scar tissue in soft tissue from radiation, not from riding on an upright and this is problematic on either riding platform. As you will recall I have an have ridden both. Agreed about cycling and the mind.

I notice in my walks around town that I am not as steady on my feet as I

used to be. If and when I ever get unsteady on my 2 wheel recumbents, I will

resort to my 3 wheel recumbents. The one thing I never want to do at my age

is take a fall. Everything changes over time ... and so do we!

Ed Dolan the Great