Old June 3rd 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,sci.physics,sci.engr.mech,sci.electronics.design,alt.horology
Trevor Jones

Default need spring-energy-storage mechanism

wrote:

is that high-tech to you? Eaton/Peterbilt does use hydraulic/
pneumatic storage of regenerated-braking-energy, RIGHT NOW for
dumptrucks. Maybe that's high tech, maybe not. And I bet if I threw
enough money to Eaton, they'd come up with a scaled version that was
suitable to me. Want to invest? You'll get your full disclosure when
you sign the check.

The reality you seem unwilling to accept, is that physics does not
scale worth a ****.

Recovering a small amount of energy from slowing down a multi ton load
in a dump truck costs a fraction of the dump trucks weight and overall
cost. The dump trucks also have a big motherin' diesel engine to haul
their load (and the regen braking system) back up to speed. I have no
doubt that the payback period on the regen braking system on a dump
truck is measured in years, too.

Put a system on a bicycle, and you will not ever get back the energy
it takes to haul it around, nor will you recover the costs of purchase
or development.

I get the distinct feeling that you are a dreamer that is unwilling to
accept that there are a few real flaws in your whole line of investigation.

Throw money at Eaton. They will laugh all the way to the bank with it.
Get a granny gear on your bike too. You are going to need it to haul the
dead weight back up the hill.

Cheers
Trevor Jones