Old August 17th 03, 07:41 PM
Luigi de Guzman

Default Which pedals: nylon or metal?

(Joe Samangitak) wrote in message om...
Help me decide on nylon/plastic or metal alloy pedals. My older bike
had metal pedals and my newer bike, a Mongoose hybrid, came with these
newer Wellgo nylon pedals; like in the picture below:

http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...=49&SKU=PD1037

Both pedals are of comparable design. Some of the pro's and cons I see
between the two a nylon pedal lighter (which is good), doesn't spin
as easily (which is good), but the teeth will wear out faster than the
metal one (however, its cheap to replace). Only advantage I can see to
using the metal pedal instead is that the teeth don't wear down.
Between these two, which would generally be considered the better
pedal?

You'll be able to mount toeclips and straps onto a metal pedal. Clips
and straps make it *much* easier to spin higher cadences...and feel
better while doing it. Going back to rubber block pedals after having
clips and straps is...unsatifsying.

(although I had to do it, as my present bike has a coaster brake hub)

-Luigi