Old December 20th 18, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 11:03:16 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 21:17, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 7:57:37 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 17:49, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:55:53 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 16:15, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents
because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the
road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions
rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber'
drivers have blanked off their tachometers.

Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.

There are rev counters on a couple of the cars available to me.

Maybe you need a new Playstation.

Well, thank you very much.

When will you deliver it?

I haven't got anything for you, though.

Which room is yours or will

Nugent
Fielding Johnson Building
Leicester

suffice?

As long as you promise to make your own way there totally by bicycle,
that will be very satisfactory.

Why would I need to do that?