Old November 12th 07, 08:43 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

Default Anyone ride through the 1st Ave tunnel by the UN?

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Even though you can't cycle much anymore, that is no reason to desert
ARBR. Hells Bells, half the folks here don't cycle anymore. The only thing
we run are our mouths. You are as good at that as anyone else.

I won't abandon the group although almost the only one I talk to these days
is you.

Cycling is not the be-all and end-all of life. We are actually designed
for walking, not cycling. Try to get out and walk everyday for an hour or
so, if you can do that safely there in White Plains.

The loss of cycling, while not everything, is huge. It has been a source of
pleasure for most of my adult life and I won't concede it easily. While I
have never been a big fan of walking, my residual injuries make it more
unpleasant then ever. Because of the foot drop on my right side and the
difficulty in picking up that foot, walking has become a real chore. I
frequently stumble and trip on my own foot.

I still have martial arts and this winter, I should get out and see how
cross country skiing is. On easy trails it is like winter hiking. You don't
have to pick up your leg all the way. It might be something I can still do
although given how short the season is (they don't make snow for it), it
can't really replace cycling.

Jeff