Old July 26th 18, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default public policy theory discovers bicycles

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 12:47:14 +0200, Sepp Ruf
wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/24/2018 9:54 PM, AMuzi wrote:

We haven't had a domestic bicycle tire (or tube) since, oh, 1978?
somewhere about then anyway.

I visited a fairly new bike shop in Akron, Ohio last week. They proudly
showed some newly available Goodyear bike tires. Goodyear (and B.F.
Goodrich, etc.) were founded in Akron, so there was some local pride
apparent. But I didn't think to ask if the tire was made in America.

-- Joergville (and Vittoriacitta) abstract: Forget about it, Goodyear would
be big in Cameron Park, but they are NOT made in Thailand! --

https://www.amchamthailand.com/ACCT/...asp?CorpID=503

Were they made in America, you would not have missed the "Proudly made in
..." labels and flags. They are made "in Taiwan by an as-yet unnamed
manufacturing partner."

So the manufacturing is a limited investment effort. And the designs also
display limited originality. An MTBR contributor claimed,
"There's a Gato clone, a Nobby Nic clone, a Bontrager SE5 copy, and what
looks to be a Maxxis Shorty clone.
Other than the NN, you could do a lot worse when it comes to cloning your
competitors' tires."

Currently, the price ratio of natural rubber / gasoline is unusually low, so
don't forget to ask for a chunky discount or gas coupon when traveling (by
truck or by non-hp blimp) to buy a couple of bicycle tires at a sparkling
new bike shop!

--

Cheers,

John B.