Old January 19th 15, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duane[_3_]

Default AG: The bread-bag trick

On 16/01/2015 11:13 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:27:40 -0500, Duane
wrote:

Ah, perhaps I missed the first part of this thread. If we're talking
about cycling shoes with vents causing problems in the winter, what I
usually do is wear the bootie things which cover the vents on top of the
shoe. Then you can use a different sole insert to block the holes under
the shoe, like a Dr. Scholl's liner etc.

I didn't like the first pair of booties I bought, so there was never
another. (I don't recall seeing any for sale, come to think of it.)
Now that we have on-line shopping, I probably could find decent
booties -- but now that I no longer live on a state road, there are
hardly any cold days when it's safe for old ladies to go out -- the
plastic bags are less trouble than hunting down and keeping track of
booties. (And there's something to be said for disposing of one's
shoe covers after every ride.)

I wonder whether they still make the toe covers that attach to toe
straps? Those worked quite well. If you could find a pair that fit.

Footnote: it wasn't just any state road. I lived across from the
county garage where the snowplows and the emergency dispatcher hung
out, between the state snowplow garage and the town snowplow garage, a
few doors from a sheriff's substation, and among two schools, two
firehouses, and an ambulance bay. If my road wasn't clean, nobody was
going anywhere.

I don't know if they still make the covers that attach to toe straps but
they do make the toe covers that slide over the front of your shoes. I
use these when it's not too cold as the booties tend to be too warm,
even on cold days.