Old August 15th 19, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Recovery and Diet

On 8/15/2019 2:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 5:51:53 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/15/2019 1:25 AM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 04:40:54 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 21:25:03 -0700, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 11:58:23 PM UTC-4, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 05:34:51 +0700, John B.
wrote:

A power meter is a vital accessory for the elderly bicycle enthusiast
as how else can he brag about his accomplishments - "I averaged 12
mph for two hours last Sunday".

Write down starting time in notebook. Write down finishing time in
notebook. Go to Google Maps, ask for directions along your chosen
route. Write down distance.

Apply third-grade math.

--
Joy Beeson joy beeson at comcast dot net http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Asking for BICYCLING directions on Google Maps can often have you riding
WAY out of your way if you follow them.

Gogle mpas are so car orientated. There is always a (or more)better
bicycle route.

When I use Google Maps to
calculate the distance on a planned ride I right click on the map at
where I'm starting from and then add markers at various points alone the
route I plan to ride.

Otherwise I find that Google Maps will often
deviate from the shortest route to take a route that uses a rail-trail
or other off-road facility and those deviations can add many miles to a
route.

Over here, it frequently will have you travelling 1,000 miles on sealed
roads as opposed to 10miles on a gravel road.

Whatever did people do before Google Maps? I can remember driving
across the United States twice without any maps at all.
--
cheers,

John B.

+1
Look in the atlas, fill tank and go. I've been all over this
country never having used an electronic device. YMMV.

Remember when you could get maps at any gas station? I used to get those and plan bicycle tours all over the country. You don't get lost if you have this thing called "language" and are willing to ask people.

Tried that recently? Almost nobody knows where they are,
anything about the neighborhood or especially how to go from
here to there.

I was in Omaha recently and a block away from my
destination. Residents gave me the 1000 yard stare until I
just happened to discover that 38th Street is parallel and
next to 38th Avenue.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/