Old March 9th 11, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default What Motorist Advocacy Does For Cycling

On Mar 9, 12:54*pm, Duane Hebert wrote:
On 3/9/2011 12:42 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Mar 9, 8:58 am, Duane *wrote:

If someone parks their car where there's a bike lane to the left of them
then they should expect bikes on their left. *When I lived in Boston
there were not many bike lanes at all and people still got doored.

Would you support signage and publicity that said "Bicyclists: *Never
ride more than three feet from a parked car!" ?

I would support warning that riding within 3 feet of a parked car can be
dangerous. *I would also support warning motorists to take care when
opening a door on the street side.

The word "never" would bother me. *I would prefer to let the cyclist
weigh the dangers.

Do you understand that you're talking about the opposite of those
signs I proposed? And, of course, the opposite of what most door-zone
bike lanes tell cyclists?

- Frank Krygowski