Old November 21st 06, 11:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Ed Pirrero

Default Last Child in the Woods -- Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder

S Curtiss wrote:
"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On 19 Nov 2006 11:16:06 -0800, "Ed Pirrero"
wrote:

S Curtiss wrote:
"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message

WHY? I have yet to hear even ONE good reason for allowing bikes off of
pavement.

You have yet to ACKNOWLEDGE good reasons.

Ding! We have a winner.

Really, only one reason need be espoused: because I want to, and am
able to.

You didn't read the question. I was asking for " ONE good reason for
allowing bikes off of pavement." NOT why YOU should ride. Why someone
else should LET you ride off-road. NOW answer the question. "Because
YOU like it" is not a good reason for a LAND MANAGER to allow you to
do it. Otherwise. that same reason would allow people to grow
marijuana on public lands.

Your failure to grasp reality is at the center of the issue. As long as you
continue to insist your views and definitions are the only acceptable
options, you will continue to be looked at as on a fool's errand.

And he fails to grasp that the reality is that the good reasons are
that MTBers, by real, verifiable research, don't leave any bigger
footprint in nature than hikers. And since the reality is that nobody
is going to ban hikers, bikers (and their bikes) will continue to have
access. The activity is growing, and reality matches that growth -
more access to more places. Including National Parks!

I don't think MJV would allow any sort of recreation in any area, if it
were up to him. On foot, on bike, on horseback - none of it. So his
opinion of what constitutes a "good reason" for allowing any of these
things is essentially singular, and of no importance.

E.P.