Old October 13th 11, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Joy Beeson

Default Going to be my latest purchase.

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:53:32 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

Spoken like someone who'd put drop bars on a wheelbarrow or a shopping
cart.

Actually, I like one flat bar on my shopping carts, and two
almost-horizontal almost-parallel-to-the-direction-of-travel bars on
my wheelbarrow.

Drop bars take a little getting used to, but I wouldn't have anything
else on a road bike. When I'm reduced to a crank-forward bike --
statistics say that will be in ten years, twenty at most -- I'll
probably prefer upright bars.

When I get a backache so bad I use a walker, there's nothing better
for it than to ride on drop bars -- it keeps the back muscles in
motion without putting any strain on them. (I got one of those the
day I was scheduled to lead a casual ride -- my riders thought I was
really energetic because I rode in circles during rest stops and never
got off the bike.)

Unlike you, however, I'm aware that there are people whose backaches
are exacerbated by bending forward. I don't go around calling them
delusional because they use methods that are best for them, and should
I have occasion to offer to let one of them use my walker, I won't run
in circles calling him dirty names if he explains that the walker
doesn't fit.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net