Old August 11th 11, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default The joys of cycling as seen through the eyes of a runner

"There’s something thoroughly liberating and refreshing about riding
on
country roads with the wind hitting your face and body. Speeding
down hills
has a bit of a thrill factor that running can never provide,
although there’s
an obvious risk factor (crashing) that’s not an issue when running.

You can cover so much more ground and see much more than when
running for an
hour workout. On longer rides of 25 miles or more, I’ve been able to
ride to
places that I haven’t gotten to on foot — seeing vineyards,
beautiful homes,
scenic vistas from hilltops and a little wildlife.

One of the best things about cycling in hilly areas is you can take
a little
break on the downhills. But the uphills are really taxing. They
provide the
equivalent to speed work when running because you get your heart
rate really
pumping.

I’m sure riding in general, especially doing hills, is working thigh
muscles in a way running doesn’t, too. And cycling is a great way
cross-train for running."

http://blogs.indystar.com/fitforlife...from-a-runner/

--
Simon Mason