Old February 24th 18, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default my fixie doesn't need improvement

On 2018-02-23 10:01, Tim McNamara wrote:

In my reference, generators mounted on the seatstay or chainstays would
be "rear triangle" mounted.Â* Because the frame is the ground (earth on
the east side of the Atlantic), a single wire ran through the frame
tubes.Â* It connected to a carbon brush in the head tube, which me
contact with an insulated ring on the steerer tube.Â* A wire from that
traveled through the front rack to the headlight.

And ground went via the bearings like it does in most European dynamos
set-ups? That was always a sick concept. I don't think in automotive
anyone would let a blooper like that pass a design review. Yet that was
and maybe still is standard fare on most dynamo-equiped bicycles.

I agree that grounding via the bike frame is a bad idea. But it's always
been possible to run a two-conductor cord and ground things properly,
which is what I've done at least since 1980.

And AFAIK all hub dynamos have always used proper grounding through a
two-conductor cord.

--
- Frank Krygowski