Old July 17th 03, 02:11 AM
asqui

Default Braking Technique

rayneman wrote:
Dani, try this... Go out and find a big hill, get going really fast
and
grab your front brake, hard as you can like you would in an emergency
situation. When you get out of the hospital, write back and let us
know
how it works.
Thanks,
Ray

If I was going to indiscriminately squeeze as hard as I possibly could on a
single lever, I don't think it would make any difference whether I skid the
front, skid the rear uncontrollably and slide, or possibly even fail to
brace my hands against the bars and fly over them before developing enough
braking force to skid the front wheel.

I was talking about effective braking technique, not how to hurt yourself by
panicking in an emergency and doing something rash.

The rec.bicycles.* faq (http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/9.17.html) and
Sheldon Brown (http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html) are the most likely
candidates for where I heard about the front-brake-only technique. I hope
you will agree that they are both reputable sources and present the solid
justification for this technique.

Dani