Old December 4th 04, 01:23 PM
Richard Goodman

"JohnB" wrote in message
I've just seen our County's new ACSO's (Accredited Community Safety
Officers) on patrol - four of them in bright yellow coats.

Another function is to issue FPN for various offences which include
cycling on pavements.

Now this is where questions are raised. AIUI FPNs issued by the police
are presently £30 with payment being required within 28 days.
Well, these ASCOs can issue FPNs at £50 which have to be paid to the
Local Authority within just 14 days before you become liable for
prosecution.

My big question is why the difference?
Get caught by the police and its £20 cheaper and two more weeks to pay.
Why can the local authority impose more than that set by an Act of
Parliament?

Presumably because there's a new Act of Parliament prescribing the powers of
ASCOs and the levels of fines that may be imposed? ISTR the same thing
happened when parking enforcement was devolved to local authorities - the
fines went up.

Whilst I am completely opposed to all pavement cycling, something's not
quite right here.

Ah well, it won't be the only area of law of which that could be said....

Rich