Old August 3rd 19, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Off Topic

On 8/2/2019 7:41 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 15:35:11 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 6:03:16 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 5:29:18 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
I know this is off topic but I don't find the answer anywhere else.

Today's news has Pres. Trump accusing the Chinese of continuing to
sell fentanyl to the United States -- "and many Americans continue to
die!"

But my research shows that fentanyl is a medical drug for the
alleviation of severe pain and as such I would assume to be a
controlled substance. How than, "many Americans continue to die!" ?

See https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/01/w...nyl-trump.html Fentanyl and all its variants are now controlled substances in China which, of course, does not stop illegal trade.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, Fentanyl was developed to be used as an injectable painkiller when all else fails. The people in the final stages of cancer and the like do not respond much to most of the pain killers on the market including the strongest forms of Morphine.

I read somewhere that it is extremely effective and it has a very
short time to peak effect - ~ 5 minutes, and it's effects only last
about an hour and is seen as ideal for surgery and obstetrical
anesthesia.

As of 2017, fentanyl was the most widely used synthetic opioid in
medicine. And Fentanyl patches for cancer pain are on the WHO List of
Essential Medicines.

Of course the drug dealers immediately started manufacturing it in pill form and with which it is extremely easy to misuse.

--
cheers,

John B.

I see in today's paper that the trendlines of rural and
urban OD deaths have crossed as now the old junkies, who
'know' a match head of 50% purity Heroin, are suddenly dying
of Fentanyl laced smack.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/