Old August 8th 19, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Handebar broke off - nasty cash

On 8/7/2019 7:38 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 07 Aug 2019 08:05:45 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-08-06 16:20, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 06 Aug 2019 07:49:44 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-08-06 00:55, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 05 Aug 2019 13:55:13 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-08-05 13:36, Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

Nothing is permanent in this world so I got used to it.

However, one should seek the more permanent stuff versus the less than
permanent stuff. It's like with cars. Japanese ones are among the best
but even they break down. My wife's Toyota developed a steering rack
leak afer 23 years. Unbelievable. Only 23 years. $940 later it's all
fixed. At least it didn't fail on the road, just very gradually. My
Mitsubishi is 22 years and, nada. Not even a dome light has had the
audacity to burn out. I sure wish bicycle manufacturers would learn
about that level of quality.

I see a 2020 Mitsubishi Eclipse, weighing in the neighborhood of 3500
lbs.and costing US$ 24,085. I suggest that anyone selling bicycles
built to those standards probably make a "live for ever" bicycle.

That Mitsubishi can comfortably carry four people, baggae and if needed
a small trailer. Mine (Montero Sport) can carry half a ton of firewood,
and has, many times.

A bicycle only needs to carry ne rider and modest baggage. How much
effort and weight would it have taken to coat the steel stiffener tube
before pressing it in? 0.01oz? 0.02oz?

Yes, they could do better.

You are defining the needs of autos and bicycles in a manner that
"proves" your points and is wholly false. You appear to claim that an
auto is capable of carrying 4 people and baggage and a half ton of
firewood and thus is a "standard" for autos.

It is in many areas around where I live.

... But I owned a MG that
could carry two passengers and a tiny amount of luggage and no
firewood at all.

Not a very useful car for El Dorado County but it all depends on your
lifestyle. I you stay on paved roads and do not need to haul firewood a
MG Sports is fun. A neighbor has one. Visiting friends of ours on dirt
roads, not so much. That requires a high ground clearance vehicle or an MTB.

You say that a bicycle carries the rider and a modest amount of
barrage yet Frank frequently mentions his bicycle that carries both
himself and his wife and when I was in Vietnam the guys in the welding
shop built "a bicycle built for 5" and test rode it on the parking
ramp.

I do not ride on parking ramps. I ride on trails a lot.

It hardly seems logical to compare a $24,000, 3.500 lb behemoth with a
bicycle but you do it all the time and than when someone argues you
start talking about tons of wood.

sigh

A bicycle carries _one_ rider (or a tandem two) and a modest amount of
luggage. Therefore, when a good bicycle costs $2k I expect it to be of
similar quality as mu SUV which has cost me $18k and can haul more than
10x the weight in terms of payload.

You certainly don't make much sense. Your "cheap" bike should be as
marvelous as your $24,000 auto? Simply more proof that you are
slanting your selections to prove your point.

For example, you want to own a "sedan" that can haul a half ton of
wood, and you seem to think that all your neighbors select this sort
of vehicle as a standard.

Ridiculous. People that want to haul tons of firewood select trucks to
haul it. I might point out that I, or according to my wife "we" own a
sort of SUV thing that probably haul a half ton of cargo, but would my
wife allow that sort of bizarre business? Nope, she'd say Don't use my
car to haul wood, use your truck and in terms of maximum cargo that
the truck is capable of carrying, we are likely talking about tons of
cargo, not a paltry 1/2 ton.

So based on your specification of carrying firewood my second hand
pickup is a far better selection that your $24,000 firewood hauler.
--

Cheers,

John B.

That's just crazy talk, like trying to explain that you
can't put a cargo rack on a race bike, a conversation I've
engaged once or twice myself. Reason is no match in that
case either.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/