Old August 12th 19, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Bad rear derailleur???

On 8/12/2019 3:46 PM, wrote:
On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 2:01:55 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

You may want to look more closely at the derailleur. It is more likely that there is dirt or grit in the cage rotation that is overcoming the return spring.

Cage rotation? Do you mean the bottom spring on the rear derailleur that is all enclosed that pulls the cage forwards and backwards to take up chain slack? I agree it is now all filled up with gravel dust and the spring no longer pulls the cage forward and backward. And I don't see any way of cleaning it since its all enclosed. Not sure how it got all filled up with gravel dust since its all enclosed either. But I guess dust finds its way in somehow.

I agree with Tom about the dirt or grit. I wonder if one of these sites
might help:

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...lleur-overhaul

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RD0003-08-ENG.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KWFhzIPoc