Old March 25th 05, 01:32 PM
wafflycat

Default Improvement :-D

As today is a holiday, Nathan came out for a cycle ride with his Dear Old
Mum, on the entirely correct theory that as I cycle a lot slower than he
does, he wouldn't actually be pushing himself too hard - just keeping his
legs ticking over ready for his time trial on Sunday morning. So we did a
leisurely 18 - 20 miler, stopping
for lunch at our favourite Ye Olde Worlde Tea Shoppe in Ye Olde Worlde
Quainte Village of Castle Acre. It's the place Vernon & I sometimes have
lunch at & I like as I can have some quite delicious home-made soup (carrot
& orange today) with a chunk of warm wholemeal bread, whilst Vernon stuffs
himself on the delicious home-made cakes they do.

The waitress taking our order asked how far we were cycling & if it was
tiring. In course of conversation I said I was cycling with my son. Waitress
said I didn't look old enough for Nathan to be my son. I do appreciate a
good OTT compliment ;-)

The best bit was when cycling home, Nathan, who I don't usually cycle with
as he's much faster than me said that he's noticed today how much fitter I
am. He said he can really tell on the hills where I used to really huff &
puff to get up them and how he & I were carrying on a normal conversation as
we pootled along and that he noticed that I wasn't having to use the really
low gears to get up the same hills, whereas before I would struggle along in
the lowest gear of the granny ring.

So losing this weight (48lbs and counting) really is starting to give me
noticeable health benefits and that is a great incentive for me to stick
with it :-)

Cheers, helen s