Old November 23rd 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Default Any Muni rider around Aberdeen, Scotland?

jogi wrote:

we travel by car and our route is not quite shure...but shurely we īll
try to cycle some Munros downhill....if the wind isnīt to hard....

Now that is a hardcore idea. Riding down big mountains which often
don't have decent tracks on them, in winter conditions.

I've ridden my muni down 1 munro, I'd recommend not doing it unless you
like walking a lot too, the routes tend to be pretty hairy, and often
not really a track, so much as a rough route that you have to follow on
a map. That time of year might be a bit hairy too, you might need
crampons/boots/ice axes for some of the tops. Even in summer, the one I
did I had a couple of scrambly exposed bits on it, and quite a few bits
that just weren't rideable.

If there's snow, I reckon you could muni a lot of the ski slopes like
off Cairngorm or Aonach Mor, although you'd have to walk up Cairngorm,
and try your luck on the Nevis Range gondola, Cairngorm won't take
bikes or walkers, only skiiers, Nevis Range officially only takes bikes
in summer (the downhill track closes at the end of the summer), but
they do take walkers. The Nevis Range gondola only goes up to 2000 ft
though, the terrain that looks really interesting to ride in winter all
starts off the top @ 4000 feet, so quite a walk up.

I was up round the back of Ben Nevis last winter, and there are some
runs there that would be *mental* to ride when there's deep snow, I was
wishing I had a unicycle with me. But they were about 2.5 hours walk
from the nearest road, and below the snow line there was a hell of a
lot of ice on the rocks, which would have hurt to ride on, meaning it'd
have been a long walk with a unicycle on my back to get to the good
stuff.

I've ridden at Aviemore which is sort of nearish Aberdeen, and there's
some fantastic riding round there, which is lower level too, so much
less scary in winter compared to the Munros. Also have done a little
bit up near Fort William, it looked like there was some good riding
going round there too.

Hmmm. Hopefully am up to the Cairngorms over New Year, maybe I'll have
a go at some of the ski slopes on the unicycle then.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44