Old June 2nd 14, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Mountain bikers are a scourge wherever they are found

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

If the reports are numerous enough and sufficiently
widespread, any intelligent person will detect a pattern and draw some
conclusions. The reason you are unable to perform these quite simple functions
is because you are not intelligent.

Funnily enough, this would be true IF the reports were numerous and widespread enough. However, they're not. Against the millions of rides occurring every day they are tiny and therefore statistically insignificant.

The reports are numerous enough and widespread enough to convince me – and anyone else with half a brain in his head.

I am not going to claim any great intelligence but, if you want to achieve any at all I suggest you read the following ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Specifically, read the paragraph which starts "Experiments have found repeatedly that people tend to test hypotheses in a one-sided way, by searching for evidence consistent with their current hypothesis."

I am not testing any hypothesis. I am simply telling you what I KNOW to be facts.

The Mountain Rescue report details every incident where they were

called out ... that's a representative sample for a season in one
location.

Yes, but only for that one location. Not general
enough.

Oh do learn some statistics and analysis. You want to collect data from the whole world without considering its size and then, magically, apply it to one location to make decisions. The Lake District data is comprehensive ... for one location ... so can be used ... for that location. Your worldwide data is meaningless.

Not if it is random and numerous and universal. It hints at a problem. However, if you are brain dead like you, then it doesn’t and never will.

"Your reports" are no such thing ... they're random articles

culled from the media all over the world. They are almost entirely
worthless since you don't have enough data from any one location to infer
anything.

The fact that they are random and from all over the world is
what makes them so good. It is your data from one location that is
worthless.

Oh do go and read a textbook .. you're looking very foolish

I don’t care what is happening in your little corner of dowdy old England. You apparently don’t care what is happening in the rest of the world.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great