Old June 3rd 14, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Mountain bikers are a scourge wherever they are found

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

I am not testing any hypothesis. I am simply telling you what
I KNOW to be facts.

You are actually Ed. Your hypothesis is "mountain biking is extremely dangerous" so you trawl the web for reports of accidents and injuries. As millions of people ride, every day, unsurprisingly you find reports of such events.

You then conclude, erroneously, that you've found support for your position.

So, yes, you are testing a hypothesis and if you understood statistics and probability to even a school level you would realise that what you've actually done is disproven your hypothesis. If mountainbiking were really dangerous, as you contend, then there would be thousands of incidents every day.

There does not need to be thousands of accidents every day in order for mountain biking to be considered dangerous. There only needs to be a few. Hiker accidents are extremely rare in comparison because it is safe. Further, the biker accidents that do occur are normally quite serious requiring rescue services and emergency rooms. You simply do not know what you are blathering about.

I understand what I am doing perfectly with getting moronic lectures from you about the scientific method. I am pointing out some generalized conditions which prevail with regard to mountain biking, which the mountain biking community itself tends to gloss over (expect by the few freaks who are really into it). Innocent people go biking on trails thinking it is safe and it is not safe at all. You blather does nothing to refute what I am saying.
[...]

I don't care what is happening in your little corner of dowdy
old England. You apparently don't care what is happening in the rest of the
world.

You're the one who said he only knew about local trails. I'm the one for collecting worldwide data.

You are posting some meaningless numbers which no one is ever going to connect with. I am posting a few stories (among hundreds) from all over the world which bring home how dangerous biking on trails is.despite all the propaganda to the contrary.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great