Old September 9th 17, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Taya Chain

On 2017-09-08 19:24, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 08:32:31 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 6:36:10 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 08:09:27 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 5:11:09 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

I think that you are confusing reality with your own fantasies. In
years past I have worked with two engineers who had worked in the
automobile industry. They both said the same thing, that the major
effort in the motor industry was to "make it cheaper".

Gee then it must be the government forcing manufacturers to make cars safer since the fatalities per passenger mile have dropped so precipitously.

You mean like when the government ordered that bumpers must withstand
an impact of 5 mph crash into a parked vehicle of the same weight?
Which isn't applicable to SUV's, minivans, or pickups trucks; only
passenger cars. Apparently trucks and vans never crash.

But of course, that was a stupid law imposed in 1971. More thoughtful
folks amended it in 1982 (for 1983 model year) and reduced it.

John, my wife's older Keo tells her if a tire is low. Is that by government edict? My car warns me if my gas is getting low so that I won't run out on the freeway. Was that a government edict? We are getting small sedans not only swerving in front of tractor trailers but being struck so hard that they are doing multiple roll-overs with the cars totally unrecognizable afterwards and NO INJURIES to the passengers. What are the government edicts? You have to wear your seatbelts.

Yup. Really necessary devices...

Amazingly I have had access to a motor vehicle WITHOUT the devices you
mention for (lets see....) sixty-nine years, as of this month, and
unbelievably I have never had a flat tire because I failed to check my
tires and I've never "run out of gas on the freeway" (or anywhere
else). My wife, who has only had "her" car for 20 years or so also has
never had a flat tire because she failed to get her tires inflated or
run out of gas.

Isn't that amazing? You start sounding like me. Now compare the average
number of flat tires per 1000mi on your bicycles versus those in your car.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/