Old June 10th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
someone

Default THE LOGIC OF TRIKES an outsider's viewpoint by Andre Jute

On 10 June, 11:09, Bernhard Agthe wrote:
Hi,

Andre Jute wrote:
The beam itself could be solid with a little play in the mounting.
However, I remember driving a Bugati when I was young which was said
to have had a solid front axle with small articulation from the
factory, which was soldered up because it never worked. I had a good
description from the engineer who owned and rebuilt it of the purpose
of the articulation, and also why it dinna work, but the details are
long gone.

Sorry, but I cannot picture this :-( Well, as you stated, I have "my"
trike (at least the idea of it), so it probably doesn't matter ;-)

Leaning depends on the geometry of the axle mounting. It is not tied
to suspension. However, suspension-type links are the easiest by which
to arrange a tilting trike.

Sure... But as I stated elsewhere, it is likely not worth the bother to
build a tilting mech into an unsprung trike...

But if you want lots of suspension, you'll end up with either
"anti-roll" or a leaning mechanism, so it might be a good idea to
combine suspension and leaning. I'll agree with you, if you have to
counter unwanted outward-tilt, you can build the suspension to provide
leaning right away ;-) You convinced me ;-)

I never set out to persuade anyone my idea was "best". Only building
all the ideas and racing them will prove which is best -- and then
some of us will argue that a little sacrifice of speed for a more
upright seat is well worth it!

Well, I wouldn't want to race them - I'd end up last with my complete
camping gear on the "bendibeam" trike... But it might still be the best
trike for carrying half a household ;-) At least for me. So I'd rather
build (and advertise) a bike for the utility factor ("carry a month's
groceries without strain"), while you would probably talk UCI into
letting you take part in the Tour de France for advertisement reasons
;-) You win the race while I watch before going on in my world camping
trip ;-)

So now we have wishlists for two A.R.B.R.-trikes, one sporty with all
the latest features, supple suspension and leaning, and one looking like
a shopping cart on three wheels (with a lawnchair attached)...

Does anyone have an idea, where I could go to have my frame built (as
stated, I don't have the resources)?

Ciao ;-)

.

Dexion (drilled and slotted steel angle for shelving system) will make
up a frame in double quick time. For your basic requirements it may
even survive as a finished working model. Use the shelves to make a
luggage box/seat.